Button Batteries


Are you aware of how many devices in your home contain button batteries? Check it, you may be surprised! Button batteries are small coin-size batteries used in devices such as remote controls, games and toys, thermometers or greeting cards. In some of these, the battery compartment can be easily opened, making these small batteries accessible, which can become dangerous for your children. The hazards of such batteries are real. They can pose a serious risk for the health of your children.

If swallowed, button batteries can cause extensive damage to internal organs that could be fatal in just few hours.

See here some instructions on what to do to prevent injuries with button batteries. You can save children’s lives. Spread the word!

1. What are the risks?
When swallowed, the button battery is in contact with saliva. This causes a chemical reaction that can cause internal burns, leading to severe injuries or even death.

Lithium-ion button batteries are the most dangerous when swallowed.

2. What are the symptoms?
When a child swallows a button battery, there are often no obvious immediate symptoms. In this situation, you may notice that the child is choking on something, has chest pain, starts coughing or having noisy breathing, nose/gut bleeds and fever.

If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, take the child immediately to a hospital emergency room.

3. How can I avoid a child swallowing a button battery?
    •     Keep button batteries and sensitive devices out of reach of children.
    •     Make sure children can’t access the batteries kept in open packs
    •     Check that your products with button batteries can’t be easily opened
    •     Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.

4. What to do if a child has or might have swallowed a button battery?
    •     You need to act quickly and immediately seek medical attention at a hospital emergency room
    •     Do not let the child eat or drink
    •     Do not induce vomiting
    •     If you have it, take the original product packaging or the appliance containing the battery with you to help the doctor identify the battery type and chemistry

 Where to find button cells and why they could be dangerous (video)